- What makes Music Together® special? Your child is having FUN, while getting a research based music education.
- We believe all children are musical. No matter what your musical background is we teach you to nurture the musical growth of your child.
- Use the Music Together "Hello Everybody app" to get a Music Together song collection that changes every semester for 3 years!
- Where do I register? Register online here. Returning families can also email/text us with the day/time they want and we can take care of registration.
- Can I register late for a class? Yes! We accept registration up to the 6th week. Simply schedule make-ups yourself here for the missed classes.
- Do registered siblings get a discount? Yes, a second child registering for the same class with a sibling gets a substantial discount. Instructions here.
- Can one adult bring 2 children? Yes. We have many adults supervising two children.
- Infant siblings under 8 months are free with a registered sibling in the same class!
- What if my child's nap schedule changes and we need to switch classes within a semester? We encourage children to stay with the same classmates to foster community and stability for your child, if possible. However, if you need to change classes we are happy to help you out! Just contact us!
- If I need to switch classes, what is more important, the teacher, or the program? The program! If you need to switch class times and teachers, the most important thing for your child is to stay consistent with the Music Together program. This is how their musical development will be given the maximum advantage.
Missing classes? Make-up FAQ:
- Travel plans? Illness? A maximum of 8 Make-up classes are allowed per 10 week semester (with the exception of the 3-week session which allows 2 make-ups). Make-ups are very easy to schedule and cancel by yourself on our website. We suggest you schedule your make-up classes at the beginning of the semester if you know you will miss a class.
- Please stay home if you or your child are ill/contagious in any way and use a make-up.
- Where do I schedule a make-up? Easily schedule and cancel make-ups yourself on our link on the top right of the website here.
- Do make-ups transfer to the next semester? Make-ups do not transfer to the following semester.
- Makeups are never guaranteed it is possible you will not be able to get a make-up in.
What happens in class?
- 45-minute classes: We sing, dance, and play with drums, bells, shakers, castanets, ribbon wands, ukuleles, with a wide variety of instruments and props.
- Your child learns to sing on pitch and tap to the beat in a NURTURING setting.
- Classes have a maximum of 12 children with newborns, toddlers, and children up to five years old, including their adult caregivers.
- We do not expect your child to sing, dance and play instruments in class! It is a RELAXED environment. Children will develop their musicality by coming to class and absorbing what the adults do.
- How many caregivers can attend? All adult caregivers are welcome. You can bring grandparents, nannies, etc. Why? You and the adult caregivers around your child are your child's most important role models. Children learn from watching you and listening to the adults in their lives.
- Do adults sing and dance? Yes! We sing and dance, while the children absorb the language through osmosis. We welcome all voices, regardless of musical ability. You make the program come alive for your child and all of the children in class!
- What if my child is shy or needs to move? We are highly inclusive. We welcome shy and outgoing children, gentle observers and bouncy movers.
- What if my child needs to wander? Wandering is very normal for toddlers as they are just learning how to walk. They often need to explore the room. Wandering for a two-year-old is perfectly natural as well. We do request that two year olds are gently guided to learn not to run in class for the safety of the infants. However, we know that this is a learning process and that this will take time.
- Will my child do anything in class or at home? Research shows that what children learn in class will often show up at home, rather than in the classroom. Some children will attend two or three semesters before you see them doing anything musical at all.
- A digital download using the Hello Everybody app, a songbook, and CD for the car are all included in the price! You get new award-winning song collections that change each semester for 3 years. The songs vary, to keep variety and stimulation for your child's brain, along with a few songs that are done every class for stability. You get to take the music home!
- Are the classes appropriate for 2.5 to 5 years old? Yes! Developmentally our classes are truly designed for ages 0 - 5. "Big kids" are in the perfect place to learn pitch and rhythm in a stimulating environment. If they so desire they get a special opportunity to be engaged in the class in a way which helps the imaginative process and leadership skills. Plus they learn about community building and socialization.
- Why mixed ages classes? Research at the Music Together® center in Hopewell, New Jersey has shown that mixed ages classes are the best for a child and for the whole family.
The children learn from one another in this family setting. The infants look up to the bigger kids as role models and become entranced with the older children. The older children can become helpers in class, learn to be nurturing and can become a "role model." Parent's let go of comparing children of the same age and simply relax into the family environment.
- Is my infant too young? NO! Bring your infant! We have had hundreds of infants that started with us at 2 months or 2 weeks! It is amazing to watch infants develop musically as they stay with us for semester after semester. Research shows that 0 - 8 months is a powerful time for your child to absorb basic pitch and rhythm. Infants begin to gently move to the rhythm of the music, make sounds that are on pitch and many other beautiful pre-verbal responses.
- Should my infant take a mixed ages class or a babies class As infants become toddlers they have had the advantage of starting so young with the classes and are, therefore, much more comfortable in a musical environment. Both babies classes and mixed ages classes are appropriate for infants. Most infants join our mixed ages classes, but either one is perfect for your infant!
- How long does it take to develop basic pitch and rhythm? The Music Together program is designed to take 3 to 5 years in a relaxed, non-performance oriented setting. However, each child develops at their own pace and there is no prescribed formula.
- Are you a drop-in program? We are not a drop-in program. We intentionally create a consistent environment for your child to get to know the teachers and the other children in their class. For liability & safety purposes all children that are relatives, friends, etc. will not be able to attend unless they are registered with our center. We do allow a very occasional older sibling drop-in. Please read below:
- What about older sibling drop-ins? We prefer that you make an effort to make other arrangements for your older sibling. However, if you cannot find another arrangement you can pay a $25.00 drop-in fee for each older sibling. You can pay using our store.
- Easy Muni access: 6,71, 43, 37 and N Judah are within blocks from our central locations and there is easy daytime street parking.
- Please feel free to email us with questions!